The Archbishop of Wellington, John Dew announced recently a reduction in the number of parishes in the Archdiocese and after consultation with Archbishop Dew, the Society of Mary has offered to take on pastoral care of the new Parish and Archbishop John has gladly accepted that offer.
The planned reduction in the number of Wellington parishes is based on an extensive two-year review where two or more parishes in each pastoral area would combine to create a completely new parish, with one shared council and finance committee.
The administration would be set up in one building, with most existing churches retained as ‘mass centres’.
As part of the “new look” Otaki and Levin will in time become one new Parish.
In announcing the change, Marist provincial, Fr Brian Cummings, wrote to the Marists saying that practical terms, there is no change to the province’s present arrangement in that it will continue to have a three-man Community based at Otaki.
The Levin parish is the northernmost parish in the Archdiocese. Established in 1920, a vigil Mass is celebrated at 6pm on Saturday, and a 9am Mass on Sunday morning. A Mass in Samoan is offered a noon on the third Sunday of each month.
The Society has staffed Otaki parish since its establishment in 1844. Mass is celebrated at 5pm (Sat. Vigil) and 10am in the parish Church on Sunday. Mass in Māori is celebrated at St Stephens – 8.30am; Kuku Miha (Maori) – 8.30am; Wehi Wehi (Maori) – 10.30am.