CathNews should be seen as an expression of the Pastoral Constitution of the Church in the Modern World, paragraph one:
“The joys and the hopes, the griefs and the anxieties of the people of this age, especially those who are poor or in any way afflicted, these are the joys and hopes, the griefs and anxieties of the followers of Christ. Indeed, nothing genuinely human fails to raise an echo in their hearts. For theirs is a community composed of human beings. United in Christ, they are led by the Holy Spirit in their journey to the Kingdom of their Father and they have welcomed the news of salvation which is meant for every person. That is why this community realizes that it is truly linked with humanity and its history by the deepest of bonds.”
News is delivered twice-weekly via a free email newsletter, Twitter, Facebook and an RSS feed. The focus of CathNews’ interest includes:
- Economics, Tax, Banks, Financial Institutions, Infrastructure, Mining
- Child Care, Child Abuse
- Poverty, Substance Abuse, Unemployment
- Human Rights, Religious Freedom
- Ecumenism, other religions and religious tolerance
- Race Relations, Treaty Settlements, Maori Party, Tinorangatiratanga
- Church: Reform, Liturgy, Priesthood, Bishops, Theology, New Religious Movements, Church Attendance
- Primary Industries e.g. Fisheries, Agriculture
- Defense, Foreign Relations, Emergency aid, Foreign Aid
- Science/Medicine: Reproductive technology Genetic Manipulation, Stem cells, Euthanasia, Climate Change, Energy
- Information Technology, Nano Technology, Bio-technology
- Inter-Church relations
- The relationship between Society and the Church.
Former National Prime Minister Jim Bolger is challenging Jacinda Ardern to live up to her promises and deliver rapid progress... Read more
As is the case with many other local authorities around the country, the Wellington council's cemeteries are running out of... Read more
This week the South Dunedin St Vincent de Paul Shop put no limit on what people can take. "No one has gone over the top, they... Read more
- Watties has donated 25,000 cans to The Salvation Army to assist with the ongoing need for food parcels. The delivery coincided... Read more
- Calls are coming in for the government to fast-track its child poverty mandate. The Child Poverty Action Group is one of... Read more
A schism that developed in 2018 over same-sex marriage blessings in the NZ Anglican church is being further inflamed by what is... Read more
CathNews New Zealand and CathNews Pacific was launched in New Zealand in 2011. Its editorial headquarters are in Wellington, New Zealand. It is a product of the Society of Mary’s Church Resources Ltd, New Zealand, which is governed by an active Board and managed by a General Manager.
CathNews was developed by the Marist Internet Project. It is complied twice-weekly by the Marist Fathers and all labour is voluntary labour.