CathNews should be seen as an expression of the Pastoral Constitution of the Church in the Modern World, paragraph one:
“The joys and the hopes, the griefs and the anxieties of the people of this age, especially those who are poor or in any way afflicted, these are the joys and hopes, the griefs and anxieties of the followers of Christ. Indeed, nothing genuinely human fails to raise an echo in their hearts. For theirs is a community composed of human beings. United in Christ, they are led by the Holy Spirit in their journey to the Kingdom of their Father and they have welcomed the news of salvation which is meant for every person. That is why this community realizes that it is truly linked with humanity and its history by the deepest of bonds.”
News is delivered twice-weekly via a free email newsletter, Twitter, Facebook and an RSS feed. The focus of CathNews’ interest includes:
- Economics, Tax, Banks, Financial Institutions, Infrastructure, Mining
- Child Care, Child Abuse
- Poverty, Substance Abuse, Unemployment
- Human Rights, Religious Freedom
- Ecumenism, other religions and religious tolerance
- Race Relations, Treaty Settlements, Maori Party, Tinorangatiratanga
- Church: Reform, Liturgy, Priesthood, Bishops, Theology, New Religious Movements, Church Attendance
- Primary Industries e.g. Fisheries, Agriculture
- Defense, Foreign Relations, Emergency aid, Foreign Aid
- Science/Medicine: Reproductive technology Genetic Manipulation, Stem cells, Euthanasia, Climate Change, Energy
- Information Technology, Nano Technology, Bio-technology
- Inter-Church relations
- The relationship between Society and the Church.
Of 75 buildings in the Wairarapa tagged as 'high seismic risk', civic officials have listed St Patrick's Church in Masterton as... Read more
Ten years on from Christchurch's devastating earthquake, the Catholic Diocese is seeking the treasures that once graced the... Read more
Everyone deserves access to basic hygiene. With 41,600 Kiwis not knowing where they will sleep tonight, and many not having... Read more
- A call has been made to change the street names and names of reserves in a Christchurch suburb with links to allegations of... Read more
- Experts are concerned that tenants will cop higher rents under the government's new housing policies. In this month's Finder... Read more
The new Auckland City Missioner is well known in Catholic social justice circles. Helen Robinson, who is stepping up to the... Read more
CathNews New Zealand and CathNews Pacific was launched in New Zealand in 2011. Its editorial headquarters are in Wellington, New Zealand. It is a product of the Society of Mary’s Church Resources Ltd, New Zealand, which is governed by an active Board and managed by a General Manager.
CathNews was developed by the Marist Internet Project. It is complied twice-weekly by the Marist Fathers and all labour is voluntary labour.