CathNews should be seen as an expression of the Pastoral Constitution of the Church in the Modern World, paragraph one:
“The joys and the hopes, the griefs and the anxieties of the people of this age, especially those who are poor or in any way afflicted, these are the joys and hopes, the griefs and anxieties of the followers of Christ. Indeed, nothing genuinely human fails to raise an echo in their hearts. For theirs is a community composed of human beings. United in Christ, they are led by the Holy Spirit in their journey to the Kingdom of their Father and they have welcomed the news of salvation which is meant for every person. That is why this community realizes that it is truly linked with humanity and its history by the deepest of bonds.”
News is delivered twice-weekly via a free email newsletter, Twitter, Facebook and an RSS feed. The focus of CathNews’ interest includes:
- Economics, Tax, Banks, Financial Institutions, Infrastructure, Mining
- Child Care, Child Abuse
- Poverty, Substance Abuse, Unemployment
- Human Rights, Religious Freedom
- Ecumenism, other religions and religious tolerance
- Race Relations, Treaty Settlements, Maori Party, Tinorangatiratanga
- Church: Reform, Liturgy, Priesthood, Bishops, Theology, New Religious Movements, Church Attendance
- Primary Industries e.g. Fisheries, Agriculture
- Defense, Foreign Relations, Emergency aid, Foreign Aid
- Science/Medicine: Reproductive technology Genetic Manipulation, Stem cells, Euthanasia, Climate Change, Energy
- Information Technology, Nano Technology, Bio-technology
- Inter-Church relations
- The relationship between Society and the Church.
Submissions to Christchurch Casino's application to renew its licence for 15 years closed last week. In its submission, the... Read more
Ajaz Patel, the 29-year-old India-born left-arm spinner, is believed to be the first Muslim to play for the Black Caps. He... Read more
Cardinal John Dew will be giving talks in the Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly and in the Archdiocese of Dublin as part of a... Read more
- Cardinal Dew was a great delight to see so many people at a Mass last Thursdayat St Joseph's Church, Mt Victoria, Wellington... Read more
- The first Chief Justice of our Supreme Court has urged New Zealanders to embrace the strands from which the country's piecemeal... Read more
Aucklander Laura McLellan says her experience working as a teacher Ranong, South Thailand, has had an immense impact on the way... Read more
CathNews New Zealand and CathNews Pacific was launched in New Zealand in 2011. Its editorial headquarters are in Wellington, New Zealand. It is a product of the Society of Mary’s Church Resources Ltd, New Zealand, which is governed by an active Board and managed by a General Manager.
CathNews was developed by the Marist Internet Project. It is complied twice-weekly by the Marist Fathers and all labour is voluntary labour.