CathNews should be seen as an expression of the Pastoral Constitution of the Church in the Modern World, paragraph one:
“The joys and the hopes, the griefs and the anxieties of the people of this age, especially those who are poor or in any way afflicted, these are the joys and hopes, the griefs and anxieties of the followers of Christ. Indeed, nothing genuinely human fails to raise an echo in their hearts. For theirs is a community composed of human beings. United in Christ, they are led by the Holy Spirit in their journey to the Kingdom of their Father and they have welcomed the news of salvation which is meant for every person. That is why this community realizes that it is truly linked with humanity and its history by the deepest of bonds.”
News is delivered twice-weekly via a free email newsletter, Twitter, Facebook and an RSS feed. The focus of CathNews’ interest includes:
- Economics, Tax, Banks, Financial Institutions, Infrastructure, Mining
- Child Care, Child Abuse
- Poverty, Substance Abuse, Unemployment
- Human Rights, Religious Freedom
- Ecumenism, other religions and religious tolerance
- Race Relations, Treaty Settlements, Maori Party, Tinorangatiratanga
- Church: Reform, Liturgy, Priesthood, Bishops, Theology, New Religious Movements, Church Attendance
- Primary Industries e.g. Fisheries, Agriculture
- Defense, Foreign Relations, Emergency aid, Foreign Aid
- Science/Medicine: Reproductive technology Genetic Manipulation, Stem cells, Euthanasia, Climate Change, Energy
- Information Technology, Nano Technology, Bio-technology
- Inter-Church relations
- The relationship between Society and the Church.
The archbishop of Wellington Cardinal John Dew said consideration must be given to the Covid-19 level 4 regulations when... Read more
The number of staff and students at Auckland's Marist College who have tested positive for coronavirus has risen to 11. Stephen... Read more
"Anybody who is not an essential worker but tries to go to work during the alert level four lockdown, is "literally putting... Read more
- Desperate shoppers have been raiding supermarkets in nearby small towns, leaving locals without the bare necessities. Chaos has... Read more
- Right now New Zealand is in an excellent position not to have many thousands of deaths and an overwhelmed healthcare service,... Read more
Agencies working with the homeless community are worried that people living on the street will be left behind if there is a... Read more
CathNews New Zealand and CathNews Pacific was launched in New Zealand in 2011. Its editorial headquarters are in Wellington, New Zealand. It is a product of the Society of Mary’s Church Resources Ltd, New Zealand, which is governed by an active Board and managed by a General Manager.
CathNews was developed by the Marist Internet Project. It is complied twice-weekly by the Marist Fathers and all labour is voluntary labour.